Saturday, December 18, 2010

More About Tango


I have been going to tango class twice a week. My teachers, Eileen and Kerry have traveled to meet with both Gammon Earhart and Madeline Hackney, researchers who have been experimenting with the effects of tango as therapy for PD. Eileen is even quitting her job to go full-time into tango therapy.
Today’s class was not a PD class; I am the only one in the class with a health issue. Lately, I’ve been feeling a decrease in the ability to move in the class and am starting to hesitate in going. I might feel differently if others there had my problem.
We were working on the Milonga today, a version of tango that has a certain beat -- bom ba bombom, bom ba bombom— that is like the Habanera in Carmen. The quick-quick step proved very difficult for me. Though I could feel the beat I could not get my feet to do what I wanted. I kept stopping in frustration and was on the point of tears.
Everyone was kind. Each of the three men invited me to keep trying. Jaime told me I did very well (liar), and Shelly made me laugh which helped me relax and do better. After a few minutes of Argentine tango with Norwid I was doing better still. His body is very relaxed and now he is used to my stumbles and hesitations and waits calmly for me to regain my balance. It is amazing to me how at times, I seem to be gliding effortlessly across the floor when I dance with Norwid, who is an experienced dancer.
So with their support and the positive energy of the other women there, I left the class feeling cheerful and looking forward to the next class, though I hope we don’t do the Milonga.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Can I Cope?

Life is change, no getting away from it. And would we want it any different? If nothing ever changed, even the most charmed life could becom...