Friday, April 1, 2011

My Meeting With Andrzej


Andrzej is a bald, 65 year old, gnome-like man who teaches and treats people using traditional Asian therapies. He was Sharon’s shiatsu teacher and she gave me his name when I told her I was looking for a teacher for qi gong. He conducts classes nearby and I met with him this week expecting to take his class. Instead of the class, which was canceled, Andrzej talked to me and evaluated my body to try to understand what’s wrong with me.
            Andrzej is the antithesis of Master H. He took his time and asked me many questions. He held my hand while we talked. His eyes and touch were gentle. When I told him about the bruises on my back from Master H, he thought that that wasn’t right. He said my muscles were already tight and that painful massage would make them more so.
            His conclusion is different from others in that he suggests the lung meridian is the problem area for me. Other sources I have consulted have suggested the stomach or the liver meridians are pertinent to PD. He also said that he thought my son’s death had the effect of shocking and causing a contraction in my system that developed into this illness. He gave me a few very simple exercises to begin, such as holding acupressure points and some simple movements.
            Also in contrast to Master H, after spending almost 2 hours with me, Andrzej wanted no payment. I insisted I at least pay him the $15 that his class would have cost.
            I’ve been thinking; I may try to see Andrzej again, or at least take his class.

1 comment:

  1. Elisa - I admire your spirit for this journey...thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

Can I Cope?

Life is change, no getting away from it. And would we want it any different? If nothing ever changed, even the most charmed life could becom...