Friday, March 22, 2013

Cleaning Up and Trimming Down


What I put in my mouth has become a major focus this year since I started attending the Suppers lunches. Suppers is a group for those who want to eat more healthily. You can learn a lot, about good nutrition from Dor, the leader/founder and the other attendees, and how to cook because you may either attend and prepare the food at the lunch or stay after for cleanup.
The first big change I made was going wheat-free. Reading the book “Wheatbelly” put me solidly in the anti-wheat brigade, at least for a trial period. I wasn’t keen on the idea when Dor proposed it because I had experimented with other similar diets, but one chapter into “Wheatbelly” and I was sold.
After four weeks gluten-free, and prompted by another Dor initiative, I started a three week cleanse guided by the book, “Clean.” I am now 11 days in. The goal is to clean out my body of toxins that have accumulated in the tissues, blood, and digestive tract. The main rules are to eat a solid food lunch of selected foods, and a smoothie, raw soup or juice meal for breakfast and dinner. An added benefit is weight loss if you have extra pounds, which I of course do.
I am feeling well, have lost a few pounds, but is it of benefit for Parkinson’s Disease? Let me finish the cleanse and then see. Maybe there will be some impact. If I do actually remove a significant level of toxins, will there be a reduction in my symptoms?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can I Cope?

Life is change, no getting away from it. And would we want it any different? If nothing ever changed, even the most charmed life could becom...