Sunday, November 14, 2010

Connecting to Nature

            In the recent documentary film “The Horse Boy,” the parents of an autistic boy bring him from their home in Texas to Mongolia. The boy connects to animals in a special way. They hope the nomadic shamans will be able to help their son. A gathering of shamans who undertake a healing all agree, the spirit of a woman on the mother’s side is clinging to the boy and harming him. After a long journey on horseback they meet a shaman of the reindeer people who may be the healer they seek. I won’t give away the ending.
            I have not yet carried out all the instructions given to me by Beatrice, the shaman, indeed very few. Lately, my family has required much of my time. But I have tried to connect with nature. This is a pleasure because of the extended and colorful autumn we are having this year.
            Today I rode my bike to Quaker meeting partly through the woods that adjoin the property. I don’t ride very fast, a runner on foot passed me, but I can do it. Yellow and red leaves were glowing in the morning sun. On one stretch, there were enormous tulip poplars by the trail.
On the way home I stopped by one of the giants and maneuvered myself as close as I could and put my arms around the trunk. Beatrice told me I could benefit from the strength of trees. It was a nice feeling. I have hugged some trees in my garden, but they’re not very big ones. I admit it -- I even kiss them. That was my idea. It’s hard to resist if you’re hugging anyway.
Of course I don’t do this when anyone’s looking, though I really don’t know what I should be ashamed of. To be called a tree hugger? Well I am, most literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can I Cope?

Life is change, no getting away from it. And would we want it any different? If nothing ever changed, even the most charmed life could becom...